An electric shock occurs when an electric current passes through a person’s body upon contact with an electricity source. Whereas an electric shock may result in an internal or external injury of the body, electrocution results in death. Below are some of the measures that people can follow in their homes to avoid electrical hazards.

1. Keep all electric appliances away from water

Because water and electricity can cause electrocution, electric appliances such as hair dryers or radios should never be used in the bathroom or near a sink. In addition to this, touching electric sockets or electric appliances with wet hands can also be dangerous as it can also lead to electrocution.

2. Ensure all the circuits are grounded

Grounded electrical systems ensure that circuits are not overloaded and blown especially when using high-powered appliances. Whether electricity is for domestic or commercial use, all circuits should remain grounded using Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) to prevent any electrocution.

3. Check the extension cords

Be sure to always inspect all the cords in the house as damaged or frayed cords can cause an electric shock. When disconnecting a plug from the socket, always ensure to switch off the socket first before pulling it out. One should also ensure not to overload the socket.

4. Protect all the electrical outlets

Protecting the electric outlets is especially important in preventing children from inserting objects such as metal to the sockets. Electric outlets should always remain covered.

5. Protect your children from power hazards

As mentioned above, one should take the necessary measures in preventing children from coming into contact with any electricity source. It is also advisable not to use extension cords in homes with small children as they are naturally inquisitive and can end up inserting objects into the sockets. Older children should, however, be made aware of the dangers of electricity.

6. Always inspect all electrical appliances

Being aware of all the damaged electric appliances, plugs, wirings, or sockets in the home can help in the prevention of electrical shocks. Damage should again be addressed with urgency by contacting qualified personnel from a trusted company.

Regular inspection and maintenance of a home’s electric system should always be carried out by professional electricians as a safety precaution.