Faulty or old electrical installations have been known to cause malfunctions resulting in accidents and fires. Most of these malfunctions can be prevented by watching out for early signs of electrical faults in your domestic premises. Ignoring or taking poor installation lightly can result in unprecedented damages and costly repairs. Prompt detection of electrical wiring problems is essential for early maintenance and rewiring. Do not let your property be affected by electrical malfunctions by watching out and being alert for these commonly ignored signs of faulty or old wiring:

Buzzing, flickering or dimming lamps

Continuous dimming or flickering of lights, including new ones, maybe an indicator that your home needs professional rewiring or an upgrade. The problem is common in old houses that use modern appliances such as washing machines and microwave ovens. Dimming lamps are not an indication of worn-out bulbs only since they are also associated with inadequate electricity flow. Additionally, sizzling or buzzing sounds are usually caused by different electrical faults in the fuse box, circuit, or panel. If you notice any of these warning signs, it is important to consult your electrician for possible maintenance or replacements in the wiring.

Sparking

Sparking, even in the slightest amount, is never a good sign. It is associated with other warning signs such as hot outlets, discoloured wiring, scorching, and frayed wires. Whenever outlets become too hot to touch, it usually signals the beginning of a severe wiring problem that can cause fires. On the other hand, frayed wires, which are common in ageing installations, can cause electrocution. If you see any of these signs, it may be time to make a service call to your electrician for further inspection and repairs if need be.

Odd odours

Burning smells are an indication that serious damage has started in your panel or outlets. It is advisable to disconnect your appliances and immediately consult an electrical professional as soon as you detect an unusual odour. Just like sparking, weird smell signals an imminent fire risk thus the need to get it fixed urgently.

Frequent circuit breaker trips

It may be time to upgrade your circuit if your circuit breaker keeps tripping even under small loads. While circuit breakers and fuses are designed to protect the circuit, frequent tripping and blowing are signs that there is a deeper problem that may necessitate the addition of a new line.

Electrical safety starts with seeking contracting services from qualified, reliable, and experienced professionals. At Customcall, we are dedicated to the provision of a wide range of electrical services, including new installations and maintenance. Contact us today for specialised electrical services and join our ever-growing list of satisfied clients.

Photo: Wired! by MinivanNinja licensed under Creative commons 6